Saturday, August 9, 2008

One Hundred Project : Jif


What is on your stereo at the moment?

I'm listening to quite a lot of Brazilian stuff at the moment so things like Gilberto Gil, Jorge Ben and Caetano Veloso, also the Fleet Foxes album which is rather good.

3 records that changed your life. Why?

ELO - Last Train To London

This was the first record I bought when I was about 9 so I guess it must have had an influence on my tastes, the original 7" still sounds better than the edit that came out last year.

Talking Heads - This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)

Growing up in the 80s Talking Heads were a very influential band and this is without doubt my favourite of their tracks.

Fingers Inc. - Mystery of Love

I was into Electro and used to listen to Stu Allan on Piccadilly, he then started playing a few early House records from Chicago. Of all the early tracks Mystery Of Love is the most timeless in my opinion, still sounding great today.

What are you looking forward to?

I'm off to Electric Elephant in Croatia soon which should be a good.

What couldn’t you live without? Why?

Music, good friends and going out and having a laugh, although I don't seem to get enough time for that at the moment

Most memorable gig?

Probably the Def Jam tour at the Manchester Apollo in '87, it was LL Cool J, Run DMC, Eric B & Rakim and Public Enemy and it must have been good as we went back the next night.

Who/what are your influences?

My influences have tended to change on a regular basis so wouldn't like to name anyone in particular, I've always been more influenced by people who aren't scare to play something different though. Marc and Paul do deserve a special mention though, without them press-ganging me into coming on their radio show just over a year ago I would have never have started playing records outside my front room.

What is the best and worst thing about the city that you live in?

I'm probably going to say the same as most of the other Mancunians, but it's size is one of the best points; big enough that there's plenty to do but small enough that it's friendly and easy to get around. The worst thing would have to be the weather.

Given the accelerated pace of modern culture, what are we due a revival in?

Farahs and back perms.

Hero? Why?

I don't really do heroes, everybody is good at different things so the whole hero thing doesn't really work for me

Is there anything else that you feel that we should know?

I hate answering questions about myself.

Jif Kumo Mix

No Tracklisting Available.

Download the mix here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember when you had both a back perm and Farahs.