Wednesday, June 18, 2008

One Hundred Project : Mr B


What is on your stereo at the moment?

Tru Thoughts remix compilation

3 records that changed your life. Why?

"Venceremous" Working Week 12"version because it showed me that jazz could be played and danced to in a club environment.

"Plastic Dreams" Jay Dee. Its just the perfect rave record.

"Live At The Counter Eurovision 1979" Misty In Roots John Peel used to play this album all the time at the end of the 70s when I was doing my O Levels. The album introduced me to Roots music.

What are you looking forward to?

Going to festivals over the summer with Sarah and our daughter and a really great bunch of varied friends. Festivals are the best way to spend the summer and I love the togetherness and sharing it teaches children. Our daughter is eight and has been to six festivals. The small festival environment (under 10k, preferably under 2k) is a fantastic experience on all levels.

What couldn’t you live without? Why?

My other half and my daughter, for obvious reasons.

Most memorable gig?

The most memorable gig I have played at was the other month when me and Sarah djd at a small festival called Bearded Theory. We headlined the main stage on the Friday night and played to about 400 people. It was amazing to be on the stage, watching people rave in a field to our music.

Concert wise, I think seeing Ravi Shankar was pretty amazing, oh, and seeing Aerosmith rock out Wembly stadium was special too !

Who/what are your influences?

No single dj or movement or genre has directly influenced me more than listening to and collecting records on the Blue Note label.

What is the best and worst thing about the city that you live in?

I live in Chorley in Lancashire, the best thing is its close enough to Machester, yet just far enough away. Its a great town to bring up a child, but it suffers from small town mentality, you could never have a night out here!

Given the accelerated pace of modern culture, what are we due a revival in?

I think we are due another summer of love. Its been a while now...

Is there anything else that you feel that we should know?

Watch out for me and Sarah playing out under the Mr&Mrs moniker.


TRACKLISTING

The Dramatics - The Devil Is Dope
Spank - Oh Baby
Skipworth and Turner - Thinking About Your Love
Wish - Mr Dj
Chuck Brown and The Soul Searchers - We Need Some Money
Uncle Louie - I Like Funky Music
Kleer - Keep Your Body Working
Farah - Law Of Life
Karou Inoue - The Secret Field
40 Thieves - Don't Turn It Off
Telex - Raised By Snakes
Ytre Rymdon Dansskola - Kjappfot
Gatto Fritti - Bursting The Bubble

Download the mix here.

No comments: