Wednesday, February 13, 2008

One Hundred Project : Chuck Anderson


What is on your stereo at the moment?

Animal Collective - 'Strawberry Jam', The National - 'Boxer', The Austerity Program - 'Black Madonna', The Field - 'From Here We Go Sublime' is what's been playing lately.

3 records that changed your life. Why?

Appleseed Cast - 'End of the Ring Wars'
This album was introduced to me when I was in high school as a freshman I believe. At the time I'd really only been listening to more mainsteam rock and pop stuff, didn't really know any better. I had a friend introduce me to all this indie stuff which was totally fascinating to me at the time (about 9 years ago now) because it was like this whole untapped musical world I didn't know existed. One of the first songs I heard from his collection was Appleseed Cast's song 'Marigold & Patchwork' and I was just really floored...I thought it was great. From there I started exploring like a madman all this new music I'd never heard before.

Isis - 'SGNL>05'
The first time I heard the second track on this album 'Divine Mother (The Tower Crumbles)' I was hooked by the sheer intensity of the music, even though I couldn't understand a word Aaron Turner was saying. Really opened me up to the whole world of drone/ avant-garde metal that to this day I could work or drive to for hours.

Jay-Z - 'Reasonable Doubt'
I was never really big into hip-hop. That's what growing up in the white suburbs of Chicago does to you I guess. But when I first heard a few tracks from this album (years after it was released, mind you) I had an awakening to it. There are really only 3 or 4 other hip-hop albums that I will probably always listen to besides this one. Just a really classic, great album full of good songs. Not just one or two.

What are you looking forward to?

Moving to the new condo in a few months that my wife and I recently bought in Grand Rapids, MI.

What couldn’t you live without? Why?

My wife for all the obvious reasons, but posession-wise...My computer or email. I don't know, I've just really come to live my life on it. Ha...I don't know if that sounds sad or if I'm just one of the millions of people who would also have to admit that.

Most memorable gig?

Certainly not a favorite band, event, or gig of all-time, but as far as memorable goes...seeing The Offspring play at the World Music Theater in Tinley Park, IL when I was in junior high is probably the most memorable. It was a day-long fest put on by local radio station Q101 and Offspring was one of the main nighttime headliners. During their last song they instructed everyone in the amphitheater to throw their garbage, food, and whatever else on stage...let's just say that was a bad move. Literally thousands of drunk morons hurling bottles, hot dogs, cans, shirts, plates, and garbage forward. To say the least, that was a memorable moment for me. I was like 14 years old. I had no clue what was going on. Ha.

Who/what are your influences?

My wife, family, and friends are all my biggest inspiration and influence. I get a lot of inspiration from music of course as well as traveling, meeting new people, spending time in bookstores just zoning out with a good stack of magazines or art books, playing Scrabble...All these things inspire and influence me somehow.

What is the best and worst thing about the city that you live in?

Well, I'm living temporarily in Normal, IL because my wife is finishing school here. The worst thing is telling people the name of the town. Normal, IL. The best thing is that we've got a lot of really amazing friends down here that we'll miss when we move up to Grand Rapids, MI in a few months.

Given the accelerated pace of modern culture, what are we due a revival in?

That's a really, really good question. It might sound trite, but I think a revival in simplicity is well needed. Just overall...less things, less materialistic and senseless purchases, less investment in fashion and obsessing with ourselves, our looks, and our stuff. A revivial in appreciating low-key, chilled out, relaxed living and not being so frantic and worried about things all the time. I could be much better with this.

Hero? Why?

Can't really say I have one in particular. Just a lot of people (friends and family) that I admire and love a lot.

Is there anything else that you feel that we should know?

When I was in 7th grade, my favorite band was Chumbawamba. I even had a shirt with that big pink baby face on it. No, I'm not kidding.


Chuck is an incredible designer and artist and to find out more about him please read here and in lieu of a mix I've decided to put up a couple of tracks from Chuck's influences and current favourites.

The National - Tall Saint

Thom Yorke - The Cymbal - The Field Late Night Essen und Trinken remix

Animal Collective - Did You See The Words (Live)

The Appleseed Cast - Here We Are (Family In The Hallways)

No comments: