Tuesday, March 11, 2008

One Hundred Project : Steven McNulty


What is on your stereo at the moment?

Skream, Rinse 02 CD mix. A load of his tracks, a load of his edits and rerubs and loads other dubstep tracks. Dark when it needs to be, a bit lighter in parts.

3 records that changed your life. Why?

Coke Escovedo - I Wouldn't Change A Thing
My favourite track ever. I have a copy for every room in the house and that isn't enough. The 12" edit has an awful cheap transition from one loop to another and I like that bit the best. I've encouraged hundreds of people to seek it out and those that do always play it for me when they see me in front of their decks. It just makes me smile.

Meco - The Wizard of Oz
Whilst Star Wars and Other Galactic Funk is Meco's best known album, the fact that you can dance to a beautifully layered orchestral disco arrangement, that seamlessly drops into a munchkin "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" chorus, but never seems cheesey.

T.S. Monk - Candidate for Love
I bought this after hearing DJ Rahaan play it at Jigsawmusic in Birmingham. There was almost a Mancunian takeover of Birmingham that night, with a coachload from Electric Chair going down. The record reminds me of an ex-hooligan playing a harmonica solo in a suburban indian restaurant, of a dark basement, of Kelvin Andrews playing Electric Souls edits in Birmingham to a load of Mancs, of falling off the arm of a sofa but not spilling any of my pint. Good times.

What are you looking forward to?

Some summer cruising in my '70's street rocket Beetle.

What couldn’t you live without? Why?

I think I could safely live without most things, but my family and friends are the most important. Not the most interesting answer, I know, but honest.

Well cooked red meat would be a major grind to do without though.

Most memorable gig?

I'm lucky that my first gig was The Happy Mondays, with Donovan supporting. It was the most memorable because of the occassion, the Madchester thing being at it's height at the time, and me being the only person from school who went.

Who/what are your influences?

Barry White, Margaret Thatcher, Marvin Gaye, Teddy Pendegrass, Grace Jones, Mancuso, Erasure, my parents (who will hate me putting Margaret Thatcher) and everyone I have ever come into contact with.

What is the best and worst thing about the city that you live in?

The energy and creativity of Manchester is special, but the people are the most important thing. You know this. We didn't want you to leave. Oh, and being the birthplace of the industrial revolution. The worst thing is that, as much as I would like to move away for some time to experience a completely different culture, I love it that much it is unlikely to happen.

Given the accelerated pace of modern culture, what are we due a revival in?

As you say, it is pretty fast paced at the moment. Tamagotchi? Have they gone yet?

Hero? Why?

Barry White, because I am wholely convinced that when he died his essence lives on in this manc boy.

Is there anything else that you feel that we should know?

That if I was allowed 4 records up top the fourth one would be Vaughan Mason - Bounce, Rock, Skate, Roll.


Steven and I playing at the Last Rites BBQ

Mix to follow when I buy a longer phono to PC lead, I've rearranged the living room!

Steven is a man whose record collection is perfectly formed, all killer and absolutely no filler. I had the pleasure of many a lost weekend with Steven while I was in Manchester and even had the pleasure of playing back to back with him on occasion where he kept me on my toes with his frankly brilliant selections. He is one of the Heavy Rotation mob that play at Jam St. in Chorlton once a month as well as being a vital cog in the Last Rites network. You'd struggle to meet a nicer fella, so in lieu of a mix I have put up a couple of tunes from Steven's influences for all of you to enjoy in the meantime.

Coke Escovedo - I Wouldn't Change A Thing

T.S. Monk - Candidate for Love

No comments: