Monday, February 11, 2008

One Hundred Project : Tony Suono


What is on your stereo at the moment?
Mudd's album and I've a load of mixes downloaded that I need to pull my finger out and listen too. Apart from that, I just don't seem to be able to settle in and listen to some music. My attention span is useless!

3 records that changed your life. Why?
808 State - Pacific State. One of the first dance records that I actually sought out in Dec 89, from Our Price in Sunderland, I think. I was working in a quarry, fresh from leaving school, with nothing for company apart from a load of jazz mags and a radio that was wired up to a car battery. Hearing this alongside stuff like 'Lambada' and New Kids On The Block, was a total revelation, and set the wheels in motion.

Donna Summer "I Feel Love" (Patrick Cowley mix). Just the whole track, the moodiness of the vocal, the bassline and the out there electronics. I used to do a mix (about 1995) of this and Purpose Maker's "In The Bush". Around 2000, I went into a mates studio where he chopped down the Donna Summer track into about 120 loops, so the track would sit on the top of the Purpose Maker one. The result was 'Lovin Da Bush'. I sent it off to Andy at Skint Records and asked what he thought of it. I hadn't heard anything from him either positive or negative, so got in touch and was told that Rocky from X-Press 2 picked up on it, loved it and they'd been playing it all over the world in their sets. That was a bit of a shock! During 2001, I got to hear it played on Radio 1 three times - World DJ Day, Miami WMC and Glastonbury. Quite a proud moment for me.

LFO "LFO". My first proper night out in the summer of 1990, this was played and it was a real "What the fu*k is this, and what is going on around me?" moment. "LFO" sounded totally alien to your 'Top Of The Pops' fodder and still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck now.

What are you looking forward to?
Getting fit again, after numerous years of seeing how much I can put my body through, I'm determined to get myself in good shape. Also looking to maybe put a couple of 'Suono' parties on in 08 and pick up where we've left off, with great guests, atmosphere, music and smiles. Hopefully also throw in a couple of trips away from the North East to attend some parties that restore your faith in going out and remind you why you spend good time and money buying records, digging, travelling and dancing! Ideally, 2008 will be a great year for al fresco fun - dancing, laughing, smiling and generally having a good time to some wonderful old and new music with like minded souls.

What couldn't you live without? Why?
Genuine friends, walks in fresh air and sunshine, proper belly laughs, great banter, nice food!

Most memorable gig?
I've been fortunate to play out a fair bit over the years, and alongside artists / dj's I respected. But I suppose the most memorable one for me was in Summer 2000. I'd only recently moved to Newcastle a few months earlier, and had been asked to play at an outdoor party in the courtyard of one of Newcastle's finest watering holes, 'The Tyne'. Over the previous few years, there'd been some amazing parties held at The Tyne, which I'd been a punter at, so being asked to play there, and at about 6pm when it will have been in full swing, I was over the moon! The day had started off well, then the weather took a proper turn for the worst - torrential rain. The road directly outside the pub was flooded and it was a possibility that things could go dark side. Benches from the courtyard were pulled out into the road, and people were dancing on them and not letting the rain bother then too much. The road ended up being full of punters there for a party, the courtyard was already rammed - it was shaping up to be a right old do, as long as the rain held off. Just as I started playing, the clouds parted and the sun started shining!!! There must have been a good 1000+ people there by this time, and once the sun started shining, the cheers went up!! My nerves eased off pretty much straight away, and the tunes I can remember (it was a hazy day), were Bobby D'Ambrozio "Thinking Of You", Paperclip People "Throw", L'il Louis "French Kiss", Sueno Latino "Sueno Latino". Maybe not the most cutting edge of tracks for that year or the purists, but maybe just the right sort of tunes to lift the spirits after getting soaked for the previous 3 hours! Each tune that I played for the next hour and a half was met with a cheer, and as I looked around the crowd - hanging off the walls, on benches, tables etc and saw friends who'd supported me over the previous couple of years when I was inside, smiling and punching the air, whistling, it made for a very emotional day, so I'm indebted to Daz Goodwin and Jim Maudsley for inviting me along and making me feel so welcome in Newcastle.

Who/what are your influences?
My influences? I'm influenced by those with knowledge and experiences, who are willing to share it, without giving it the big one. A prime example is Greg Wilson.

What is the best and worst thing about the city that you live in?
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this about Newcastle, but the lack of small / medium sized venues available on a weekend for promoters and for the opportunity to put a party on, without having to go through mountains of red tape etc and are a bit different is an absolute nightmare.

The best thing? There are some great pubs off the beaten track, where you can usually find some like minded souls to drink with and talk rubbish with.

Given the accelerated pace of modern culture, what are we due a revival in?
Farah's, Puma G Villa's and Acid House. Hang on a minute...

Hero? Why?
No heroes for me...

Is there anything else that you feel that we should know?
My accent isn't that difficult to understand and my diet goes well beyond soup.

Tony Suono - Beats for Benson

No tracklisting but features tracks from Don Williams, Joris Voorn, Red Shape, Nate Williams, Moodymann, Mr G, Matthew Jonson and many more.

Download the mix here.

For more on Peterlee's finest escapee you can have a look here and here.

No comments: