Wednesday, May 7, 2008

One Hundred Project : Brendon P


What is on your stereo at the moment?

Ha Ha, nothing at the moment, but I was listening to 2 CD's this afternoon for memories sake while cleaning out the pad and rummaging through my mail...The League Unlimited Orchestra's "Love And Dancing" and A compilation called Funky Nassau The Compass Point Story 1980-1986.

3 records that changed your life. Why?

Stevie Wonder - As
Lyrically, I was always amazed by the fact that a blind man could have such a vision of unconditional love and write and sing about it so sincerely and fluently. It still touches a special place in my heart each time I hear or play it. And his musicianship on it is first rate!

Manuel Gotsching - E2E4
For a 1981 piece of electronic music, it was way ahead of it's time. Can't say if that or Iron Butterfly's "In A Gadda Da Vida" was one of the longest records I've ever know or written for that matter, but it fell right up there with Kraftwerk's "Trans Europe Express" and weaned me into electronica in a big way.

Deep Purple - Machine Head LP
I was late listening to this, but when I was 5 years old and a really destructive kid when visiting my relatives at Christmas time, my cousin Charles found that one way to keep me quiet and in one place, was to place me in front of his stereo, plug in the headphones and let me listen to music. It was the first record I remember listening to, and my first lesson on how to operate a turntable. I couldn't get enough after and no more glassware and vases got broken after. Charles still tells everyone to this day, that he started me on the road to djing, and he may be right, too.

What are you looking forward to?

Just trying to be happy and find peace of mind with each passing day. And discovering new and mind blowing bits of music. Hopefully I'll produce some someday.

What couldn’t you live without? Why?

Integrity, music, my parents and God's guidance in my life.

Most memorable gig?

Too many that come to mind. Tough to single out one really.

Who/what are your influences?

My parents form a very large influence on my life actually. At work, my fellow residents, Tony and DjB as well for their own honesty and integrity and belief in what they do. Artistically and musically at the moment, it's probably Carl Craig, Christian Prommer, Martin Buttrich, Dominik Eulberg, Dennis Ferrer....and anyone who has made a positive impact on me musically and spiritually in some small or significant way.

What is the best and worst thing about the city that you live in?

Oh it's a relatively safe place, with a very low crime rate. And it's a progressive and affluent country as well. The people here live comfortably and there's little unemployment or homeless people living in the streets. However, the same factors can also be it's undoing too, at times, as the people here tend to take that for granted sometimes. Not totally their fault as they have so much financial burden these days with the cost of living going up, and pressure to be "successful" the way societal norms dictate them to be. There's also less people these days who are open-minded about accepting different styles of music in their life. Partly because they are influenced too much by commercial radio, MTV and other mainstream influences. There is sadly also a general apathy towards anything that's not hyped up as "fashionable", too long or "undigestable" to them. We can run around in circles about this in conversations, but I think it will have to take a great deal of effort, education and funding to start this rolling again and it will take a great deal of time too.

Given the accelerated pace of modern culture, what are we due a revival in?

Wow, that's a tough question. The Indie thing is running rampant these days. So many kids are into that pseudo-indie-electro sound that everything's starting to sound the same. I see the cycle eventually coming back to house, but not for a while here yet. I had this weird theory that House and Techno has it's best years in the 8, 9 and 0 region numerically. It started in 1988, grew in 1989 and was the big thing in 1990. It had it's time again in 1998, 99 and 2000. Maybe the 1, 2 and 3's are always it's pensive and more tentative numbers because everyone jumps on the bandwagon and tries to copy or mutate it and then it all goes astray allowing pop to creep back into the fray, but it's 2008 now, and there are some really kicking house and techno records coming out. I could be wrong though, about the numbers theory. Let's just see what the recycling bin throws up.

Hero? Why?

My parents honestly. I know it's a boring answer, but they're the only people in the world I trust to give me an honest answer and challenge me to be happy rather than "successful".

Is there anything else that you feel that we should know?

I also cook, rather well actually...ha ha.

Brendon Perera is no rookie to Singapore's clubbing scene, Brendon's DJ career spans two decades. A trip to Paradise Garage back in '84 weaned him into the New York club culture, and into the music that was to become the house music that we hear today. Crossing vast musical backgrounds over his years as a DJ, he continued to acquire a keen ear and passion for dance music. "There's just so much to share with dance music, as it combines all the key elements of music; the funk, soul and jazz that I grew up with, plus today's technology".

Besides his previous residencies in other local clubs, he has also taken his sets to other clubs around the globe. Forays into production have also bore fruit with his contributions to the soundtrack of the locally produced motion picture - A Sharp Pencil. And as the resident DJ in both the Zouk main room and now in it's sister club Velvet Underground where he anchors the Saturday nights with his educated blend of soul, deep house and disco that has added to the already warm vibe of the room.


To listen to Brendon's mixes visit his DJ page here.

No comments: