Friday, April 4, 2008

One Hundred Project : Scott Trackwerk

What is on your stereo at the moment?

Claro Intelecto's new album – Metanarrative. I've not really been a fan of their earlier stuff (a bit too harsh for my tastes) but this album is very deep with a lovely melancholic vibe. I only bought it a week or so ago but I'm really liking it. Also really into the new Rod Modell LP and the amazing Watamu Beach – Moritz Van Oswold Mix (every home should have one).

3 records that changed your life. Why?

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album. My dad used to play this all the time when I was a young nipper. He used to encourage me to put the big headphone cans on and listen to it with my eyes closed. It made me realise at quite a young age that there was music out there that went beyond what you'd normally hear on the radio. I still love this album now.

Rhythm is Rhythm – Strings of Life – The summer of 89 was the most exciting period of my life. It was a musical and cultural explosion from what had gone before (Soul and Pop Music and fights in pubs/clubs every night). The music, the clubs, the drugs, the whole vibe was simply amazing. I could have picked a lot of tunes to represent this feeling and time, though I just remember the whole crowd going mental whenever this was played, wherever you where. I actually prefer Rhythm is Rhythm's – It is what it is, though I don't think it had the impact of Strings of Life.

Bobby Konders – The Poem – Graeme Park (who I idolised until he pigeon-holed himself with the Steve Silk Hurley happy-clappy sound) used to play this all the time, especially at his residency at Kool Kat in Nottingham. It was like no other house music being played, so long, deep and musical. Probably more than any other record, this influenced my future record buying habits.

What are you looking forward to?

Watching my 2 year old son Alex grow up. Being a Dad is the greatest thing in the world.

What couldn’t you live without? Why?

My family and friends, my dog and my music collection; and a computer with a high speed internet connection of course.

Most memorable gig?

In terms of attending a gig, it would probably either be the Stone Roses at Spike Island or Radiohead at the M.E.N Arena in Manchester. The night before Spike Island I'd been to Nottingham to see Graeme Park play at Venus – got completely twatted, then went over to spike island the following day. My mates and I were all feeling rough as fuck, it was torture listening to all the crappy supporting bands, and listening to Frankie Bones DJ'ing, with a continual "Frankie Bones Brooklyn New York" shout-out every five minutes. We were skint, had no weed or much money to buy drinks. It felt like forever waiting for the Roses to come on. Though all that was forgotten when they took the stage and opened up with "I Wanna be Adored". In terms of enjoyment Radiohead was much better, I'm a massive fan of theirs and I was in the mosh-pit going mad for the whole set.

In terms of playing gigs, In my younger days I used to play at various bars and clubs around Grimsby & Cleethorpes (my home town) and also occasionally at gigs in Hull, Sheffield, Nottingham and Manchester. Probably the most memorable was a party that we put on for my 21st Birthday in Grimsby. There were probably 500-750 there and the whole place was going mental the whole night, dancing on the tables, air-horns, crowd-chanting etc. etc. To be perfectly honest though I've always been much happier playing at after parties, where I can play the stuff that I really love, without having to worry about keeping a dance floor going.

Who/what are your influences?

There are so many its difficult to know where to start. Other than family and friends, on a musical front I'd say David Bowie, Paul Weller, Radiohead, Gomez, Gil Scott-Heron, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, Chaka Khan, Kirk Degiorgio, Carl Craig, Theo Parrish, Moodymann, Maurice Fulton, The Idjut Boys, Pal Joey, FK, Rejji Burrell, Bobby Konders, Mike Huckaby, Patrice Scott, Move D, Ashley Beedle, Mudd, Quiet Village, Henrik Schwarz, King Britt and Don Carlos.

What is the best and worst thing about the city that you live in?

Once you have children I think your priorities change with regards to what makes a good or bad place to live. I've lived in some crappy places like Luton, Dunstable, Darwen and some great places Harpenden, and best of all Sydney, Australia for a year. Last year I moved to a very small village in Yorkshire. The best thing is it’s a nice place with very little crime and will be a good environment for my son to grow up in. I suppose the worst thing is that it’s a bit quiet and sterile.

Given the accelerated pace of modern culture, what are we due a revival in?

I hate to say this but I can see there being a revival of interest in the early house scene. It always seems that popular culture always looks back 20 years to revive whatever was big then.

Personally I hate looking back. Whilst it’s always great to hear some old disco or funk gem on someone's mix and then track it down, my primary focus is always on listening to as much new music as possible to unearth the new stuff. I don't agree with people who say things on forums such as "House Music is Dead" and only ever talk about the old stuff. I think this just shows up a lazy attitude to finding new music. I truly believe that there is always great new music coming out, you just need to search through a lot of shit to find it.

Hero? Why?

The Manchester United midfielder - Paul Scholes. Whilst he's nearly at the end of his career now, he has been THE outstanding English player of the last decade. Aside from being a class apart in terms of his ability and football brain, he is also completely unassuming – which is a rare thing for footballers these days.

Is there anything else that you feel that we should know?

I don't think so. Of course you can always keep a look out for new mixes on the trackwerk website, which is updated on a frequent basis.

Scott is the co-founder of trackwerk.net (along with his mate Carl). The site has been running now for 3.5 years and has provided over 200 mixes in that time, including lots of varied guests such as Bill Brewster, Greg Wilson, Dublex Inc., Inverse Cinematics, Blackbelt Anderson, Adam Goldstone (RIP), Mudd and many more from joint residents Paul “Balaerik Soul” Williams and Sean “Rotter3*” Johnston.

KUMOWERK

Tracklist

Inohs Sivad – Somewhere Else
Soulphiction – I Just Wait (Radio Edit)
Gogo – A Nova Estrela (Kirk Degiorgio Mix)
Quiet Village – Desperate Hours
Matias Aguayo – Radiotaxi
The Mole – TBA
Linkwood Family – Miles Away
Underground Orchestra - Solaris Eremit
Rod Modell - Temple
Off-World-Ensemble featuring Tony Allen – Dance of Loa

Download the mix here.

No comments: