Tuesday, January 22, 2008

One Hundred Project : Ryan Hunn


What is on your stereo at the moment?
As I write this, Daedelus- 'Sawtooth EKG'

3 records that changed your life. Why?
1. Augustus Pablo- King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown (Rockers International) Because it got me into dub, in a big way.
2. Dabrye- Two/ Three (Ghostly)
Because it made me look at hip-hop in a completely new way, as well as totally changing my approach to making music.
3. The Lightmen Plus One- Energy Control Center (Lightin')
Because it completely bent my mind.
4. Fela Kuti- I.T.T. (International Thief Thief) (Kalakuta)
Ok, I know you said three, but this was one of the first Fela records I bought which resulted in me getting into African music.

What are you looking forward to?
Hopefully one day making a living out of what I love doing.

What couldn’t you live without? Why?
A number of people, they know why. And my Moog, just so I can say that I own one.

Most memorable gig?
Sketch City Stage, D-Percussion 2006, Manchester. This sparked my involvement with Sketch City and it was all because bumping into Jonny Dub a few days before and he just said, 'wanna play?'. That night blew me away. Seeing several hundred people going nuts to 'Samba De Flora' under a railway arch on a Saturday night in Manchester will stay in my memory for ever. Jonny made it all possible (thanks bud!).

Who/what are your influences?
A huge list of musicians/ artists, but more importantly my mum, dad, family and friends.

What is the best and worst thing about the city that you live in?
The best thing about Manchester is that there is such a huge amount of creativity in a relatively small city. Even though it is the UK's 2nd city, it is still a fraction of the size of London, but has just as many talented people, from artists to musicians to jewellery makers to designers. I love it.

The worst thing, being an Arsenal supporter and Londoner, is Manchester United!

Given the accelerated pace of modern culture, what are we due a revival in?
Polish psych. Oh, and beige. On a serious note, I hope that people and concepts get the credit and popularity they deserve, as opposed to gimmicks and fashion receiving the plaudits.

Hero? Why?
There are a few people I could call heroes, but to be honest and without meaning to name drop, but Mr Scruff. He has supported me personally in my own projects and has supported us at Sketch City immensely. He is, without a doubt, one of the finest DJs on the planet and fully deserves all the success he has had, which will hopefully continue. A great friend, and a top guy.

Is there anything else that you feel that we should know?
New monthly night, called Hoya:Hoya, starting in Manchester as we take over the last Saturday of the Month slot vacated by the Electric Chair. The first one is on Feb 23rd and is a residents special launch party, featuring myself playing for six hours in the main, and the legend that is Jonny Dub playing all night in the back. On the Sketch City front we are about to open our own gallery, 'Upper Space', which will be the first street art and illustration based gallery in the North West.



Ryan Hunn presents Hoya:Hoya- Volume 1

1. Stan Lelowski- The Moon (Poljazz)
2. Joe Bataan- I Wish You Love (Part 2) (Fania)
3. Doug Hammond- Wake Up Brothers (Tribe)
4. King Tubby, Scientist, Prince Jammy and The Aggrovators- Harder
Dub (Fatman)
5. Lloyd Coxsone- East Of The Rockfort Rock (Tribes Man)
6. King Tubby- Puppy Dub (Fatman)
7. 2562- Kameleon (Tectonic)
8. Skream!- 2-D (Tempa)
9. Mundo- Big Up (Dub Assembly)
10. Mr Scruff- Chipmunk (Ninja Tune)
11. Mala- Left Leg Out (DMZ)
12. Tunde Williams & The Afrika 70- Mr Big Mouth (Afrodesia)
13. Le Simandou De Beyla- Festival (Syliphone)
14. Dego & Kaidi Tatham- Got Me Puzzled (2000Black)
15. Daedelus- Sawtooth EKG (Ryan Hunn Edit) (Mush)
16. Scienz Culture- Ginsu (Son of Scientist Mix) (Sunshine)
17. James T. Cotton & Rodger Devine- ARAK (CD-R)
18. Luther Davis Group- You Can Be A Star (Soul Cal)
19. The Players Association- I Like It (Vanguard)

Download it here.

Contact Ryan here, and be sure to check out the interview that I did with him on Basic Soul.

No comments: