Sunday, January 27, 2008

One Hundred Project : Naoyuki Ebihara


What is on your stereo at the moment?
G&D 'The Message Uni Versa', these are my new favorite artists and 'The Story Of Jamaican Music' (Raggae/4CD's album ) which I got it when I was 13 years old but now I'm still listening to the album. Even now this album is very fresh and I love this kind of unrefined and warm sounds.

3 records that changed your life. Why?
Let me talk about 5 records instead and even then it's still not enough to get the whole picture.

Wreckx-N-Effect 'Rump Shaker'
This is my first song that I listened to Hiphop when I was 12 years old. It totally knocked me and took me to Hiphop way a moment and from the next day I put the boombox on the my shoulder and I said to Everyone 'Yo, whats' up' instead of 'Konnichiwa'.

Buckshot Lefonque '1st Album'
I found this album when I was 13 years old and it taught me what is the real Jazz hiphop instead of my music teacher in
a Junior High school. The album was a my music textbook instead of 'The Sound Of Music' at that time.

Mic Geronimo'Shit's Real'
I think this is definitely a hiphop classic. The 12 inch was too difficult to find out in record shops in Japan 1994 because Japan had such a poor hiphop market. I still remember the time that I got very excited when I got the 12 inch at a used records shop.

Common Sense'Take It Ez'
This title is from his 1st album 'Can I Borrow A Dollar' and I love all of Common's productions but, I prefer his 1st album more than his present one. One of my favorite tracks of his is 'Take It Ez'. His style was more funky and street than now, it was an unrefined production but, that was simply cool for me. I don't think all the productions always must be perfect, sometimes it needs to be rough. You should check the 12inch when you have a chance and I recommend 'Jazz Instrumental' very highly.

Digable Planets 'Rebirth Of Slick'
I heard this for the first time when I watched the Grammy Awards in 1993 I think, and their live performance and music video were aired on TV. The performance made me very excited 'What a great sounds......' You know, it shocked me so quickly. As you can imagine, I went straight to the record shop after I watched the show. It was a good memory and I'm still listening to Digable Planets because it's still fresh.

I think there is a lot of great hiphop around 1990-1995 and they also opened the window for me to seek out Jazz/Funk/Soul/Reggae. If I discovered Hiphop around 1996-2002 I would not love this genre and enjoy music as much as I do now. The 5 records gave me a great time and changed my life.

What are you looking forward to?
Well, now I am looking forward to going to the football camp which will hold an amateur competition at the bottom of Fujiyama in February. We made a brand new football shirt for this and I got a No.10. I can't wait to play in this competition now.

What couldn't you live without? Why?
The iPod which my ex-girlfriend gave me 2 years ago for Christmas. No Music No Life. Make Money Spend Money.

Most memorable gig?
Fat Freddys Drop at The Academy in Manchester and La Cedille's stage at the Eurocuture Festival in Machester 2006.

Who/what are your influences?
I was definitely influenced by the 6 months that I spent in the UK in 2006. I think that time made my life change. I touched a great art and music and met a lot of good people there. It was as great experience for me and that 6 months provided me with an emotional richness. I loved the Fish and Chips in the UK. There is one Fish and Chips' shop which is run by a Chinese family in Workden. And This Chinese lady always gave me fantastic Fish & Chips with a lot of potatos on the full of a plate, she knows what I like very well. I ate the food 3-4 times every week. I used to eat it and drink a coke while watching football on the couch.

Given the accelerated pace of modern culture, what are we due a revival in?
It's definitely an old school BOOMBOX. Apple should remake it in a modern way but they have to keep the old looks.

Hero? Why?
James Brown, He is The Godfather of Soul. Nothing more to say about him, Everyone knows how great he was already.

Is there anything else that you feel that we should know?
Yes, let me introduce you to one jazz club called 'Body & Soul' which is located in a Tokyo, Aoyama. They have live Jazz every night and many Jazz Artists/ Bands come and play from all over the world. When you come to Tokyo, you should go there. I promise they have real sessions for all audience without fail of a very high quality.

Naoyuki runs the ROOT70 LOUNGE digital label and you can buy releases from his label at Junodownload, King Beat and iTunes. Check his myspace profile for more information.

And instead of giving us a mix, Nao has kindly given us a few tasters from his label for all of you to enjoy. You can download them here.

TRACKLISTING

DJ Quiet - Mr Smith
DJ Quiet - Nihon Kara France Made
La Tribu Du Chef Guida feat. Kev Brown - Combat Perpetual
La Tribu Du Chef Guida - Pause On The Microphone
Sene feat. Prefyx - Madness
Sene - Fuckin' Me Up



Nao at the Fat Freddy's Drop gig in 2006.

1 comment:

Baker said...

Quote: I ate the food 3-4 times every week. I used to eat it and drink a coke while watching football on the couch. :Unquote.
Pretty much a man to my own heart... Good stuff Nao!