Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Soft Rocks - Black Magic


Brighton's Soft Rocks have created easily the most psychedelic record of 2008 with this offering. I think it samples Stevie Knicks but I'm not entirely sure and it is especially appropriate after I have just spent 2 and a half days negotiating San Francisco to celebrate Jeni's and my one year wedding anniversary, and lets face it San Francisco is the home of all things psychedelia. The wife and I especially enjoyed going into City Lights bookstore, home of the whole beatnik thing and seeing their wonderfully humorous posters on the walls one of which read - The redlight district will be closed on June 26th because the ladies will be attending the Policeman's ball. They also had great sections with entertaining names like Muckraking etc. We easily walked 10 miles each day and our weary legs were rewarded with great food, awesome sights and some really great music being played in all the stores we went into. Soul, jazz and funk were the order of the day and I caught myself asking various kids in stores what the names of the songs were to mostly befuddled looks.

Their record stores however come well-stocked but at a price, every album was greatly inflated and you could easily get them for far cheaper on Discogs or GEMM but there is something to be said about getting dusty in a record emporium manned by someone who has given up their souls to the groove of which there are plenty in San Francisco. Anyway I'm diverging a bit here, basically this is a great addition to the Soft Rocks cannon and one that if it came on in a club I would go absolutely radio rental...man.

Soft Rocks - Black Magic

No comments: