Thursday, May 1, 2008

Kid Creole & The Coconuts - There But For The Grace of God Go I


Originally done by Machine, There But For The Grace of God Go I is an incredibly controversial track mostly for the line, 'Let's find a place they say, somewhere far away with no blacks, no Jews and no gays', a line which was omitted from the Fire Island version that Heller, Farley and Wilkinson did in the mid-90s. I've decided to post the Kid Creole and The Coconuts version, which came out in 1980 or thereabouts. I can't really decide if this is brilliant or complete and utter wank, it all depends on my mood really.

Kid Creole and The Coconuts are the brainchild of August Darnell and feature a trio of backing singers including our hero's wife. They make slightly oddball pop that is a mixture of big band jazz, disco all meshed together with Caribbean and Latin American influences. I'll have to admit that I've never been able to listen to any of their albums from start to finish as the joke wears a bit thin after a while and like Boris Johnson, I can only take them in small doses...very small doses. Sold this one well, haven't I? I think I'm just having a Kid Creole and The Coconuts are wank day, but later on when the sun is blazing through my front windows and I'm having a bit of a mix I'll probably think they're brilliant, strange that. Let me know what you think.

Kid Creole & The Coconuts - There But For The Grace of God Go I

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its a killer song which was originally written by Mr. Darnell. It is intended to be re-released in the summer of '08 by Universal Records as the original with an '08 version as well. Im looking very forward to the new version.