Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Possess Your Heart



Living in Southern California has been a bit of an adjustment to living in Lancashire, weather aside the biggest change has been in access and introduction to new music. In the United Kingdom I was ravenous, everywhere I went I'd invariably be introduced to records that I would spend my hard-earned on, be it in a basement or shopping in the Northern Quarter. Out here I've tried listening to the radio and beyond KCRW the programming and content is absolutely dire. I don't get KCRW up here where I live but when I lived in Long Beach I would listen to a couple of shows a week, especially Liza Richardson's shows at the weekend. Check the DJ picks from their broadcasting staff and you'll see that quality was quite high there and not your usual highly regimented Clear Channel driven playlists that the other channels suffer from.

Having said all that, the other week when my wife and I went back to Long Beach to visit some friends one of the DJs played this Death Cab For Cutie song 3 times in a row, which is normally broadcasting suicide but this definitely caught our attention, and with the wife having dragged me off to see them in Manchester, and with my expectations admittedly very low, I was blown away by their professionalism and craft on stage. I have seen a lot of bands in my life from the truly dire to the utterly sublime and Death Cab For Cutie are certainly as good as they get.

This record kicks off with a long four minute plus intro that should appeal to all the balearic heads out there, well at least Jeffo will get it, and when the vocal comes in the lyrics aren't your typical throwaway rubbish but rather heartfelt, well thought out and intelligent, which lets face it is not the norm. Even if this isn't your normal thing I implore you to have a listen to it as you just might find that you really like it, like I do.

Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Possess Your Heart

1 comment:

jeffo said...

Wow!

What a great track that is! I'd always dismissed this lot for having such a shite name.

I think I'll be investigating further. Any pointers mate?