Friday, March 7, 2008

15 Tracks From The Rave Closet

I was having a dig through my collection last night trying to find LTJ Bukem Sunrain and nearly every record took me on a trip down nostalgia lane. All of these records were anthems for me at some point or another and all of these hold a very special place in my heart because of the people I was hanging out with and the places that we were going at the time and all of these records are as important to me as my Fela Kuti, Gil Scott-heron, John Coltrane and Pepe Bradock records because they shaped my initial journey into dance music, the culture and getting down on dancefloors at silly o'clock in the morning. This post is dedicated to all the people that helped make 1994 - 1999 so special for me and although some of these records came out before then but when the summer of love hit Cape Town a lot of the DJs were from the United Kingdom and unbeknownst to me they weren't exactly on the cutting edge of the time and were still playing records like Feel It, Tears and the like and I'm truly grateful that I got to hear them down the front on a loud soundsystem surrounded by a bunch of nutters, and I have to admit that I do get a bit misty-eyed when I hear them...I know, I know, big girl's blouse.

Nightmares on Wax - Les Nuits



Bocca Juniors - Raise



Lemon Interupt - Dirty



Leftfield - Afro-left



Attaboy - New World



Goldie - Inner City Life - 4Hero remix



Jonny L - This Time - Carl Craig remix



Presence - Future Love - Love From San Francisco mix



LTJ Bukem - Sunrain



Danny Tenaglia - Elements



Coco Steel & Lovebomb - Feel It



Omni Trio - Redshift



Junior Vasquez - If Madonna Calls



Frankie Knuckles presents Satoshi Tomiie and Robert Owens - Tears



Marshall Jefferson - Mushrooms - Salt City Orchestra remix

No comments: