Monday, March 10, 2008

Four more for your .mp3 player

I know absolutely nothing about this record or its makers and I first heard this on the Jackie Brown soundtrack from a few years back and it definitely stood out for me. I hunted down this album by Manfred Hübler & Siegfried Schwab and although there are a few others on the album that are worthy this definitely stands out over the others for me personally. It isn't your run-of-the-mill funk album and it has an odd juxtaposition of horror, sex and funk and is probably a wet dream for some people out there and personally I only give it an airing when I am truly in the mood for it and today was the day. Play it loud or don't play it at all. Avoid the first 50 or so seconds though as it is slightly unnerving. Sold that one well, didn't I?


Vampyros Lesbos Sexadelic Dance Party - The Lions And The Cucumber

Etta James is the voice for me - it is raw, sexy and full of attitude and on this track Etta shows all of her voice's great qualities and then some. Some of you might recognise this track because of the Theo Parrish edit that was all over every nightclub a few years ago and as good as it is if I were forced to choose I would probably stump for the original, which more often than not is my policy when it comes to edits. Etta is the voice of a generation and her records have that timeless quality that mean that they'll still be in rotation in ten, twenty, thirty years time. Most of her stuff is worth picking up and if you're starting out then be sure to hunt down All The Way Down, which was so expertly used on the Idjut Boy's Press Play album from a couple of years back.


Etta James - In The Basement - Part 1

Hailing from New Zealand, DJ Fitchie and Joe Dukie are both founding members of the awesome Fat Freddy's Drop and on this record, which is one of their rare solo outings which they did for Japan's Especial records, which was pressed in their usual limited quantity, they merge Fitchie's skippy almost bruk beats with Joe's incredibly soulful vocals and everywhere that I have played this people have asked me what it is. It is one of those records that I'll never get sick of and when played at the right place at the right time it will go off, mark my words.


DJ Fitchie & Joe Dukie - Seconds

Gil Scott-Heron is one of my musical heroes. I have an entire section devoted to him in my collection and he's one of the only artists beyond Pepe Bradock and Fela Kuti that I will buy on sight safe in the knowledge that when the needle touches the vinyl that I will be instantly enamored with the music on the plate. I could go on and on about how much I love this guy and the themes and musicality enshrined in his output but at this time I will digress, all I can say is that you should hunt down his records if you haven't already as you won't be disappointed. I also heard that after a testing time he is back in the studio and recording and I personally can't wait for the results. This particular record was the tune that I started many a set with in 2006 and was the first record that I played in the Shack at the Chair the night that Gareth, Paul and myself represented Last Rites down there, a little factoid free from me to you next time you're debating rubbish over a few jars down the local.


Gil Scott-Heron - The Vulture

No comments: