Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A reader writes...


This is a first, and probably a last, but I got this email from Sledge today:

"Hey Marc !

I thought some of your readers might be interested in this purchase...

Please hit it up on your site, I want this great LP to go to a good home."

...and having heard of this band before I thought I'd share with you an article that appeared in the Guardian written by Duncan Brooker a few years ago.

This is an extract from the article.

One of the bands I was most interested in was Air Fiesta Matata. A Kenyan 10-piece, Matata produced east Africa's finest funk in the late 1960s and early 1970s. In 1969 they played with Miles Davis in Germany, and Davis was impressed enough to invite them to America. In 1971, the BBC World Service crowned them Best Band in Africa.

Read the full article here and let me know if any of you have it or indeed if you buy it.

Oh, and while you're at it check Sledge's blog here.

Have a great New Year everyone.

No comments: