Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Santogold - Starstruck


Santogold was a member of Philadelphia-based punk band Stiffed and has recently set sail on a solo career that has resulted in her self-titled debut album that is easily one of the freshest things that I have heard in a long time. Unsurprisingly she has been compared to M.I.A. and her goal is quite simply to bring back pop records that have a bit of depth to them instead of the cardboard cut-out product endorsement twaddle that litters the airwaves. I've chosen Starstruck off her album because it reminds me a bit of a Ben Mono record in that it is hard to categorize it as it skirts the lines between hip hop and techno with a bit of cosmic sensibilities thrown in for good measure. It is a record that is fresh as fuck and one that you really shouldn't overlook. The fact that she was brought up on a diet of Fela Kuti records endeared her that much more to me as I'm sure you can imagine given my borderline obsession with the Kalakuta Emperor.

Santogold - Starstruck

No comments: