Saturday, May 24, 2008

Aretha Franklin - Drinking Again/Trouble In Mind


Aretha Sings The Blues is quite easily one of my favourite records of all-time, it is immaculate from first cut to last and the album is one of the few that I can listen to from start to finish without thinking about some other record to play. Aretha Franklin of course needs no introduction and her voice honed through many years of singing gospel in her father's church is shown off incredibly as she works her way through the 14 tracks on the album. This is her mastering the blues but there is a heavy swing jazz feel to some of the backing tracks on here to go with the slow deep down south gut bucket blues that endear this record so much to me. My wife introduced this album to me at the beginning of our relationship and I knew then and there that she was the woman for me and we've spent many a Sunday reading the papers with this as the perfect accompaniment. This record is bursting with emotion and soul and for my money it is easily one of the ten best records of all-time, and one that every record collection should have. I've chosen two pieces of magic for you to dive in and enjoy. What an album from one of the greatest voices ever.

Aretha Franklin - Drinking Again

Aretha Franklin - Trouble In Mind

No comments: