Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Johnny Cupcakes LA Shoppe


While not being particularly fond of the clothing itself, I do respect Johnny Cupcakes for the visual language that he uses on both his apparel and in his store designs. I don't think I'd ever wear any of the clothing myself as I'm probably a bit too old for it but I can see queues around the block when his shoppe opens on Melrose Ave. over the summer. Besides being assured of him doing something with the Dodgers or Lakers logos, which seems to be a rule in streetwear something that I wish would end, we can also be certain that his store will be out of this world. He has a great feel for conceptual ideas and this video is further proof of this. One thing that I do respect about the man is that he takes absolutely no short cuts when pleasing the customer, and a look at his blog and how he packages his items is testimony to this.






Here is the letter/message/transmission/whatever that he posted on his blog to accompany his video. I like this guy.

The first sneak peek of the Johnny Cupcakes LA shoppe. Working closely with a company that builds, fabricates and engineers various things for Disney Land/World, Universal Studios as well as other international artists + architects. They're helping me bring all my crazy ideas to life. This new LA Johnny Cupcakes shoppe will be quite the memorable experience.

My parents and select friends think I'm insane for putting so much time, energy and money into my LA shoppe. I really just want it to be a fun, different, memorable experience. Whether people are or are not into my brand, every time they see a bakery or a cupcake they talk about Johnny Cupcakes. "Oh my - there's this kid who's been opening up bakeries on expensive streets, and he doesn't even sell real food!" - Instantly friends of the upset hungry people, become very curious & have to check out this Johnny Cupcakes thing.

Now how about this; After going into my new LA shoppe and seeing 36 vintage oven doors that move & steam - as well as witnessing a giant 10' foot tall oven that employees walk in and out of... EVERY time those happy and/or unhappy people see an oven in their lifetime, my name/brand will probably come up in conversation. Every human looks at an oven at least two times a day, every day. "Oh my - there's this kid who opens up bakeries on expensive streets & doesn't even sell real food! On top of that, he has a poo poo load of moving/steaming vintage ovens in his store. This kid even has a 10' foot tall oven that employees walk in and out of! I don't get it?!"

Yadda yadda yadda... anyways - I just still have that prankster inside of me. I almost feel like the Willy Wonka of t-shirts. I enjoy making people feel like kids again. And I want everyone to remember me when I pass away. I don't plan on passing away anytime soon, but it would be nice to be some sort of historic wise tale that gets passed down. And if/when I do pass away, it would be nice to go down in an adventurous way - via a great white shark eating me whole.

Most companies try to cut corners to turn a huge profit, and don't think twice about making the customers happy via spending extra time, energy & money on attention to details & experiences. Well I'm ALL for the little (and BIG) details. It is all about the experience, because at the end of the day we're all just humans hustling a product to consumers. Why not make it an unforgettable adventure for both parties?

Anyways, that's my two cents.

Bon Appetit!


It's not great secret that I'll be opening my own shop fairly soon, still waiting for USCIS to play the game though, and I'm hoping that on my meagre budget that I'll be able to do something half as striking as what Johnny is coming up with, ok maybe a quarter.

No comments: